Stu-Offroad navigation header graphic Advertise here

Click image for more information
Home Steering Electric Bumper/Tires Guards Drivetrain Axles/Shafts Suspension/Brakes Recover Body Other Trips Videos Reviews Guns RC


Highway to Hell


Larry tried a slightly different line on the first obstacle and got himself cross ways in the chute.  He was trying out a brand new pair of PJs and I think they were throwing him off just a bit.  We tried adjusting the air pressure a bit and it helped somewhat, but he finally winched over the rock before it caused a trail side repair.


Here is Fred getting set up for a line to the left (which did not work).  He got up and over once he got in the groove that Doug used.  We spent a fair amount of time at this little obstacle....I guess I shouldn't say little.  It was pretty beefy!


Fred continue to give it a try using the line to the left.  He is about as far as one could get.  By the time the front wheels were up on the rock, the weight shift to the rear axle was more than enough to remove most of the traction from the front end.


Doug starts another water fall that is further down the trail.  I would rank it similar to the first one, except less chance of getting your sheet metal into the rock.  This was had a nice notch running down the middle which meant you need to keep your wheels well positioned.


Doug is a very good driver and he made all of these look too easy.  His TJ sports a Tera lift, 35" tires, ARBs front and rear, and an Atlas II if I remember correctly.


This part of the reason that this trail was ran.  Some cut a wildcat bypass up the side of the bank.  This is just before the obstacle that Doug just got over (see previous 3 pics above).  A couple of fence posts were put in place in hopes of "teaching" the folks that you don't make bypasses just because your rig is not up to the trail.  That is why you walk it first and then decide if you should be on it.  Of course, having someone along that has ran the trail can provide much better insight as to your chances of making it.

We wrapped up the work and called it a day.  There was virtually no trash (just a couple of hand fulls at the max), so that was very nice to see.  Joey, a good friend who walked the trail with me, hopped in to my Jeep and we headed back to the west side of Phoenix and home.  I think it is safe to say that a fun time was had by all.

Return to main page