Stu-Offroad navigation header graphic Advertise here

Click image for more information
Home Steering Electric Bumper/Tires Guards Drivetrain Axles/Shafts Suspension/Brakes Recover Body Other Trips Videos Reviews Guns RC

 


ExtremeAire Compressor Installation
 

A few days have gone by (had to go to work) and it is now Saturday morning.  I needed some 8 gauge wire to finish the power run to the compressor.  Several visits to the nearby NAPA, AutoZone, and ACE Hardware left me looking at 10 gauge wire but no #8.  I stopped at an automotive audio store located near my house and found what I needed.  They had 8 gauge wire for 99 cents a foot.  I bought 10 feet and a few ring terminals and headed for home. 

 

I recycled a piece of scrap aluminum that was in the garage for a mounting plate.  The power solenoid and control switch was mounted on the plate and the plate then bolted to one of the bolts holding the ExtremeAire in place.  This was a quick and easy method to get everything up and running as I have a trail run coming up shortly and wanted to try the new compressor.  I'll use another Saturday morning to replace the power switch with one from my bank of switches up on the center console.  This will make it easier to power on/off the compressor from the driver's seat and help reduce the random placement of switches my TJ seems to accumulate. 

 

The wiring diagram for controlling the compressor is pretty straight forward.  Let's see how it works.

1.  Let's start with the tank empty (no air in the sytem).
2.  The pressure switch will then be closed when there is no air in the tank.
3.  When we close the power switch (turn it on), +12 volts is applied to the power solenoid.
4.  The solenoid energizes and applies +12 volts to the compressor which turns it on.
5.  When the tank pressure reaches the pressure switch's rated pressure, the pressure switch opens.
6.  The open switch deenergizes the solenoid which turns off the compressor even though the power switch is still on.

I used an ARB pressure switch (the spare I had) to control tank pressure.  I can now use this system to run my ARB air lockers if I wish as the lockers will be supplied with the correct air pressure, just as if it were coming from the ARB compressor. 

 

I thought I had some air hose tucked away in the garage but it must have gone out in the one of the cleaning sessions some time ago.  A quick trip to the ACE Hardware store to acquire some 3/8" hose, a couple of 90 degree 1/4" NPT elbows, and a 1/4" NPT hose barb fitting and I was ready to go.  I'm not sure how this PVC hose will hold up to the temps coming out of the compressor.  If it suffers a melt down, I'll pick up some Goodyear rubber hose from another store I was shopping in a couple of weeks ago. 

 

With some Teflon tape applied to the male threads of the 90 degree elbow, I screwed it into the compressor head. To the elbow, I attached a female quick disconnect air fitting.  I used the manufacturer installed fitting on the end of the hose to attach it to a male quick disconnect air fitting.  This setup allows me to disconnect the air line going from the ExtremeAire compressor to the air tank, just in case an issue arises that requires the compressor to be disconnected from the rest of the OBA system. 

 

The air tank received the remaining 90 degree elbow and the 3/8" hose barb was screwed into it after both fittings were wrapped with Teflon tape. 

A test run with the plumbing installed yielded promising initial results.  The compressor ran for a bit an then shut itself off when the tank's pressure switch opened the power solenoid circuit.  So far, so good.

It was time to see just how well the ExtremeAire compressor was going to work.  I attached a tire deflator to the valve stem on one of my 35" Goodyear MT/R tires and took it down to exactly 10 PSI.

I clicked on the stop watch mode on my wrist watch and started timing the air up.  I stopped once at 1:30 and had about 25 pounds of pressure.  The air chuck went back onto the valve stem and the timing was continued. 

At 2 minutes, I stopped the tire filling and checked the tire pressure again.  It was right on 30 PSI.  I was pretty satisfied with these results.  My recently retired QuickAir 2 would normally fill a 35" tires in about 5 minutes, so the ExtremeAire compressor is looking good.  My end of trail air-ups have been reduced to 10 minutes which includes getting the air hose out and putting it away.  I already like the sound of that.

I'm waiting for the one-way valve to show up in the mail.  When it arrives, I'll update this write-up and then this one will be finished.  Nothing was shipped this past week due to everyone being at the SEMA show. 

Good trails and remember to TREADLightly!
 

 More  ExtremeAire Install

 

 

 

Home Steering Electric Bumper/Tires Guards Drivetrain Axles/Shafts Suspension/Brakes Recover Body Other Trips Videos Reviews Guns RC