Click image for more information
Depending on what brand and model of winch you have, this will vary from unit to unit. If yours is different, you'll have to dig up a diagram or see if Darren has the info you need to make the connections.
To remove the cover on the Warn XD9000i, remove the two bolts located at the top rear of the winch. It is labeld as #1 in the above pic. You will also most likely need to loosen the two bolts located at the front of the winch. This is labeled as #2 in the above pic.
With the cover removed, it is time to mark and drill your access hole. I put mine on the end of the winch. You could also mount it to the cover that you just removed. Your choice here, what ever you want to do.
The largest drill bit I had that fit my 3/8" drill motor was 1/2". This is big enough for the inside diameter of the grommet that Darren supplies but not quite big enough for the grommet to fit into. Not a problem, a couple of minutes with a round file opened up the hole very quickly. I have a step drill that goes well past that size but it is made for thinner material. Anyway, it was just a couple of minutes before I had the grommet mounted.
Follow the wiring diagram for your winch. Here are the connections for my particular Warn winch. The solenoids are numbered 1 through 4, left to right, as one stands in front of the TJ looking at the grill. Pay no attention to the white cable in the upper right corner of the picture as it has nothing to do with this project. I crimped small ring terminals onto the 3 wires coming from the control panel and then attached them to the appropriate terminals on the winch solenoids.
While the Warn housing is certainly not waterproof, I still wanted to keep as much moisture out as I could now that I introduced another hole in the case. Using a tube of RTV, I applied some around the inside of the case where the newly connected control wires enter the housing. Should the front end go under for a bit, it will certainly reduce the amount of water that can get into where the solenoids are located.
With the winch cover replaced, I rechecked everything one more
time. With no fuses in the winch system, I didn't really want a wiring
error to cause a melt down in my Jeep. Everything looked good so I
reconnected the cables to the battery that I had removed earlier.
Time to test out the system. I had my wife hop into the driver's seat and turn on the ignition key. The winch switch cover was lifted and she flipped on the power switch. As I held the strap at the end of the winch cable, she bumped the control switch to the OUT position. Yes sir, the cable rolled out of the fairlead. A little bump of the switch to the IN position retrieved the winch cable.
That is about it. It is not a difficult installation....you just want to take your time while mounting the control panel so as to get it located correctly and looking good.
Many thanks to Darren at 12VoltGuy.com for a well thought out kit. It looks great and works as advertised. While you are at his web site, check out the other items he has available. From what I've heard, if he doesn't have it in his inventory, he can most likely build it for you. Tell him you read about it here.
Good trails and remember to TREADLightly!