Stu-Offroad navigation header graphic Advertise here

Click image for more information
Home Steering Electric Bumper/Tires Guards Drivetrain Axles/Shafts Suspension/Brakes Recover Body Other Trips Videos Reviews Guns RC

 

Round #2
 

With a clean shop rag tucked into the weeping tranny, I snapped this picture so you could get an idea of what the manual tranny looks like without the t-case attached.  After the oil bath, Alan and I realized that we were letting the tranny sag a little too much (didn't have the jack stand up high enough) which is what caused the loss of MT-90.  I teased Alan about getting some of the "best synthetic gear lube that money can buy" in his hair.  Heck, some folks go to fancy spas to get this kind of oil treatment.  I guess we can be grateful that it was not hot!
 

Alan's hair was about as good as it was going to get and I had successfully migrated the parts over to the new t-case.  Now we had to come up with a plan on how to hoist the new beast into position.  Once again, it was Alan to the rescue, this time as "Alan, the human transfer case hoist".  Alan positioned himself squarely under the tranny area.  Now you have to realize that what happened next could only be accomplished because of the years of beer drinking that Alan has done.  Alan rolled over on his side and together, we rolled the t-case onto him as he rolled onto his back.  At this point, the human transfer case hoist was ready to raise the t-case into position.  Alan took an extra deep breath and proceeded to expand his stomach (remember, the one that has had years and years of beer poured through it) until the t-case was at the proper height.  With him steadying it, I guided the t-case forward while clocking it a bit to get the 6 studs to engage the tranny flange.  With a quick spin of the output shaft which got the splines engaged properly, we pushed the t-case home and securely up against the rear of the tranny.  I grabbed a couple of nuts to temporarily secure it in place while Alan let out that extra big breath he was holding.

We finished up getting the remaining nuts on the studs and tightened them.  Since it was impossible to get a torque wrench on them, I gave it my best guess (you know, calibrated torque wrench wrist) and we called it good.

From there, we just retraced our steps and started putting everything back together in the opposite order we took it apart in.  Heck, we were done with the hard part!  Everything after this was a down hill coast.

Here is the t-case shift linkage adjustment point that you may or may not need to adjust depending on what all you did.  I installed the 2LO with my 4:1 but from what I can tell so far, I am dropping into 2LO just fine, without having to have made any adjustments.  Your mileage may vary!


Here is the business end of the Tera 4:1, the RE SYE and CV drive shaft.  (and my trusty old dog, keeping an eye on the neighborhood)  I had not adjusted the pinion angle when this photo was taken, so don't judge anything based on what you see here.


More of Round #2

 

 

Home Steering Electric Bumper/Tires Guards Drivetrain Axles/Shafts Suspension/Brakes Recover Body Other Trips Videos Reviews Guns RC