Once again the press was used to take out the remaining
u-joint. I had to use the bench vise in the same manner as before.
No big deal....just takes a bit longer than when pushing them out in one step
using the press.
The main yoke of the CV joint is now free from the drive shaft. Just one more pair of bearing caps left and I'll have the entire CV joint disassembled.
Again, I cleaned off the various parts and checked them for signs of wear or damage. There was none, so I would be using this part again as well. I cleaned out the socket very well and would be applying grease to this area when it was reassembled.
OK....so you really know how that u-joint press works now, right? I pressed out one of the remaining bearing caps and then clamped it in the vice and gently removed it from the yoke.
One thing I noticed on several of the u-joints was that the grease that is normally found in the cross area was missing (in 2 or 3 of the legs). I figured one of two things happened....it was all used up (but I saw no signs of it oozing through the bearing cap seals) or it was never put in there in the first place. I really don't know which one of these is right, but you can bet I made certain that all of the crosses and bearing caps were liberally greased when I started putting everything back together.
This is what you want it to look like. Packed full of grease. As the drive shaft spins, the grease in these channels are pushed out into the bearing caps by centrifugal force. This is what keeps a constant supply of fresh grease feeding into the needle bearings. If these grease channels are empty, there is no grease to lube the needle bearings and they soon fail. Right after that comes the failure of the u-joint itself and sometimes the yoke too. Hmmm.....sounds like a little bit of grease applied in the right areas is a pretty good idea!
More Drive Shaft
4x4 Off-Road Homestead Firearms RC Flying