I quickly constructed a paper template, making sure I had sufficient space for all 6 switches and the 4 new LED assemblies. I taped the paper template to the lid and drilled all of the holes with an 1/8" drill bit. The four holes for the LEDs were increased to 9/32". You can see one of the new LEDs sitting in its hole.
The hole for the pushbutton switches needed to be about 3/4". I didn't have a regular drill bit that size but I did have one of those step drills. I put it in my drill press and carefully enlarged the four pushbutton holes. While I had the drill press running, I also drilled the two holes for the toggle switches.
The top of the project box, all switches mounted and the LEDs installed. If you are not into plastic panels, the box also comes with an aluminum panel. At this point, the components (switches and LEDs) can be connected back to the harness. Prior to removing them from the wiring harness, I tagged all of the wires to make it easy to reconnect them once everything was mounted. I drilled a large hole in the end of the project box to bring in the wires.
I keep a stash of wire loom in my electrical odds and ends box. I bundled the two wire groups (for the switches and the LEDs) together in a section of plastic loom and tape it every 10" or there about.
All buttoned up and a couple of LEDs lit (just to make sure my wiring was good). I was thinking of getting one of those red flip open covers for the main switch. That should prevent it from being accidentally turned on.
More AW-4 Manual Shifter
4x4 Off-Road Homestead Firearms RC Flying