4x4 - Home

Round #2

The transfer case was next on the list of things to do.  With the new springs in place, we had a couple extra inches of clearance under the vehicle to play with while doing the transfer case swap.  Alan and I felt confident that we could do this in a couple of hours, which as it turned out, was correct.

First on the plate was to remove the four nuts holding the tranny mount to the skid plate.  After that, we wrestled a jack stand into place to support tranny while we unbolted the 6 bolts holding the skid plate to the frame.  We had the floor jack positioned under the skid plate which made it very easy to lower down and roll out of the way.

After the skid plate was out of the way, I started on the front drive shaft.  Because we wanted the maximum room available, I removed the u-joint straps at the axle end too, although this would not have been necessary.  The four bolts holding the t-case end of the drive shaft in place were removed and the drive shaft was moved out of the way.  We also removed the u-bolts from the D44 yoke and freed up that end of the rear drive shaft as well.  I snagged a bungie cord from the back of the TJ and tied the rear drive shaft up out of harms way.  Since neither Alan nor I wanted this thing to drop down onto our brain cage, I made sure it was secured well.  We could have removed the t-case end of the rear drive shaft but at the time, I didn't feel like messing with it.


Next to be disconnected from the t-case was the vent hose, 4WD switch wiring harness, speedometer wiring harness, and the 4WD shift linkage.  The t-case end of the linkage is a press fit into a little plastic socket.  I was able to pop it out with the aid of a big screw driver (acting as a miniature pry bar) as evidenced in the above picture.  Move it up out of the way as it has a nasty habit of hanging down right where you probably want to have you head (at least I did anyways).


Here is a shot of the t-case with out the skid plate under it.  You can see the disconnected speedometer wiring harness.  With the front drive shaft out of the way, Alan and I had pretty good room under the vehicle.


OK....we were almost down to the last few nuts and bolts by now.  I decided to pull the tranny mount bracket from the bottom of the transmission, as shown in the picture above.  I thought one of the t-case-to-tranny mounting bolts was under there, but I was wrong.  As it turned out, no harm, no foul.  I was able to give the rubber mount a good once over to ensure it was not tearing or cracking.  I had heard on JU that a few folks had been experiencing a broken tranny mount and the results were never good.  Mine looked to be in good shape and it was returned to service after we swapped out the t-case.

With everything out of the way, we pulled the nuts off the six studs that hold the t-case to the rear of the tranny.  Once the nuts were off, we started to jiggle the pull on the t-case and watched the gap widen.  When we had slid the t-case rearward about 3/4" of an inch, Alan and I both got a shoulder directly under either side of the t-case.  We gave a might grunt and the t-case input shaft uncoupled from the tranny.  Just as we were lowering it to the ground, about a pint of Redline MT-90 decided to run out of the tranny's output shaft and right onto Alan's head.  There was a mad scramble to get the t-case safely onto the ground, without sacrificing any fingers, and for Alan to get out from under the spewing stream of synthetic gear oil.


With the t-case safely on the ground, we slid it out from under the Jeep.  I got Alan a handful of paper towels and a towel.  While he proceeded to remove the gear oil from his hair, I removed the 4WD switch and the speedometer housing (two items above circled in red) from the t-case since these have to be transplanted to the 4:1 equipped unit that we were installing.


More of Round #2



4x4 Off-Road    Homestead    Firearms    RC Models