Toss on a coat or two of spray paint and this mod looks like it's not a mod, but rather a factory mount (OK, so it has that FORD logo embossed into the shock tower). I mentioned that FORD logo to Blaine....you know, having Ford parts on my TJ....he said that as long as it didn't move and you didn't have to lube it, it probably wouldn't fail. I guess I can live with that!
Here is another shot. I honestly don't remember if this was at full droop or not. If it is not, then it was getting close to being at full droop. Time to put the springs back in, find some tires, and take it for a test spin!
I was looking back through the write-up and realized I had totally spaced out snapping a picture of the lower shock mount, after it was welded into place. So, here is a picture of what the bottom end looks like after it is finished.
One thing that myself and others who have done this modification found was that the on-road ride was somewhat improved. No one really knows why....but the back end feels a little more firm when going over those small bumps in the mall parking lots, etc. Obviously, this modification was done to improve the available shock travel for off-road use, but it was nice to realize the added benefit of seeing a bit of on-road handling improvement also.
I guess that is about it for this write-up. As you can see, it is pretty straight forward. Remember, measure twice cut once. If in doubt, measure ten times and still cut only once! OK?
Many thanks to Blaine for helping me on this project.
Without your fabrication skills, it simply would not have happened. I
truly appreciate your help on this.
March 29, 2003
I had a request for a few more pics so I took a few this morning
while I was out working in the garage. I hope these give some better views
of everything hooked up and ready to go.
Sorry, I had no rocks in the drive way so some wooden blocks on the floor jack will have to do. The tire is about a quarter inch off of the ground in this and the following shots.
For those who wanted to see the shock placement from the rear of the vehicle....here you go!
Here is the shock at full extension. I still have about 3/4" of droop left on the axle when I disconnect the shock. Since we did the install on a Sunday, we wouldn't have the opportunity to go shock shopping once the project was under way. We could have mounted the upper mount a little lower, but I didn't want to go that route. So, I'll let the shock limit the droop for now and the next time around, I'll get longer sway bar links (they are the next most limiting component) and a slightly longer shock. I still have a couple inches of room left for a longer shock body so it should not be an issue.
4x4 Off-Road Homestead Firearms RC Flying